Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Seamus and I

Because I am crazy and usually bored (and usually trying to keep my mind occupied), when Im on the bus I will occasionally look around and imagine everyone as characters in an action suspense movie and pick roles for them. This would be a movie (like Speed) where something action-y and suspenseful would happen to a bus full of unsuspecting people. I am always the un-likely heroine/love interest for the hero (obviously). The problem is, there is usually not a good hero-type riding the bus. Which is fine because my hero could always enter the equation from some other place (as in Speed where Keanu Reeves' character, Jack, gets on the bus while its doing 50 down the freeway). But, sometimes heroes and love interests arent always easily spotted. This takes me to the story of how Seamus and I met:

Once upon an August in 2009, Laurelhurst Park was putting on its annual "Movies in the Park" and Our Heroine, me, had been bugged and bugged by friends to attend. When I'd heard that the movie on a particular weekend was Casablanca, I was finally interested in going - so I packed a bag with a blanket, a thermos of a particularly strong blend of flavored vodkas and juice, and cups. I headed out, along with three of my friends, to find a good spot in the park for movie viewing and down-low drinking.

Upon arrival at the park it became very clear that I wasnt the only one unwilling to miss a showing of Casablanca because the place was packed. Still, we found a decent spot, laid down our blankets and busted out the booze. Erin had brought an extra blanket for a friend she'd invited that may be bringing friends of his own - and shortly after the movie started these friends came, introductions were quickly made and, on my part, quickly forgotten because of the booze and the Casablanca commanding my attention.

Meanwhile, on that day Seamus' mother was in town visiting him for her birthday. Seamus had friends over for a BBQ to celebrate and was looking for something fun to do afterward. Luckily, Seamus heard from his friend Roy who heard from his friend Erin that some friends would be at Laurelhurst Park for the "Movies in the Park" showing of Casablanca and would save them a spot. Seamus and his mother had both never seen Casablanca but had always wanted to, so it was set.

The movie, as always, was fantastic.

Afterward, being particularly broke and not ready to end the night, Erin and I decided to invite everyone over to our place for cheap beer - including these folks I'd had a vague recollection of meeting. Seamus' mom was pretty tired at this point and had asked Seamus if he minded if she just headed back to her hotel room. Seamus - who was also not ready to end the night and was interested in following girls back to their house instead - did not object.

I had met Seamus' friend, Roy, through my friend Erin. Roy sat near me and his friend Seamus sat near him. Through the phenomenon of alcohol induced banter, I started chatting more and more with this Seamus character - he was smart, just the right mixture of polite and smart-ass, and funny as hell. Most of all, he was so easy to talk to. It was one of those cliches where you feel like you've known someone for years because the communication is just effortless.

Late into the night and early into the morning the topic of our conversation ended up on pool. At the time I was playing pool more than ever and had gotten better than ever at the game. Challenges ended up being exchanged (probably originating from me) and it was decided that the two of us would meet at my favorite bar the following night. Phone numbers were exchanged. Seamus eventually went home and I eventually went to bed.

The next morning I woke up feeling hungover and not particularly motivated to leave the house. Evening came around and I was feeling better, but still not super excited about going out. I considered texting Seamus to reschedule our showdown, but reconsidered - he was so easy to hang out with, a little hair-o-the-dog might be just what I needed, and we were going to my favorite bar - which at the time felt basically like an extension of my living room, so it wasnt really like going out. Instead I texted him asking him what time he'd like to meet. Turns out, Seamus was feeling the same way physically, but decided to meet up with me anyway because he had a secret crush on me.

We played pool, chatted more - and got along famously. Soon, I was inviting Seamus to everything I did, and hanging out with him every day. There was something about him that I couldnt pinpoint. Sure, he was cute, but more than that, I just wanted to be around him all the time. Apparently, when I wasnt hanging out with him, I was talking about him to my girlfriends, a lot. Eyebrows started raising. "You LIKE him!" ...maybe I really did like him. This was something to raise an eyebrow at because at the time I'd been dating a few people and was not particularly liking anyone anymore. I was reaching the point of being jaded and swearing off men forever. But Seamus was different. He didnt press any romantic progression in our friendship (even though he wanted it), and in fact I may not have known he was even romantically interested in me if it werent for the look in his eyes he would get when drunk and telling me how awesome he thought I was.

Eventually, after about a month of just "hanging out", we ended up kissing and then dating. The transition was pertty seamless since we were already attached at the hip - only now we got to make-out and stuff.

So, the story of Seamus and I isnt an action-suspense movie that unfolds on a bus, but my hero did come from an unexpected place - and besides, its pretty romantic to tell people the Cliffs Notes version - that we met while watching Casablanca in the park.

No comments: