Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Being a receptionist means that I talk to people - the general public - a lot. Sometimes (ok, let’s be real: most of the time) it’s hard to believe how clueless people can be. I talk to people quite often that are either pretty damn stupid or are all out of fucks to give, because they can never answer VERY simple questions like "Ok, where are you right now?" THAT is seriously one of the toughest questions I ask people regularly.

"Uhhh... I dont know. By the convention center?"

"Um, Im downtown."

"Uhhhh... I don’t know. I see a few bars near me."


Perfect! That tells me exactly where you are! Then, when I ask what streets they are on, I might as well have asked them to explain Einstein’s theory of relativity to me. Because they never have one fucking clue. Often they are surprised I would ask such a thing of them.

(Deep, exacerbated sigh) “I have no idea.”

I once asked a girl if she had her car valet parked and she didn’t know! I didn’t know how to react. Finally, I was able to pick my jaw up off my desk and ask “Do you remember giving your keys and your car to a stranger who then took off with them?!”

She couldn’t remember.

Bitch, if you can’t remember if you parked your car or gave it to a stranger, STOP DRIVING! Fortheloveofgod, stop operating heavy machinery.

How are people like this still alive?! Have we made society so safe and fool proof that you can survive without any smarts or wits or awareness whatsoever? I believe I personally would appreciate a world where, if you’re too fucking stupid to live, you don’t make it! The thinning of the herd!

Another thing that surprises me is the amount of people who call me and I end up referring them to the internet. I guess I don’t understand putting in the effort to make a phone call if what Im looking for is easily found online. Also, I love having to say “Let me Google that for you” and the common (and correct) response to that is “Oh, I guess I could have done that myself”.

Yes. Yes you could have.

No comments: