Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Neck Surgery Update

I met my surgeon yesterday. I like her a lot. She seems like a super smart lady and has been doing the procedure I will have done for a long time. Also, she said that the incision she makes on my neck will only be about 5 to 6 centimeters long, which means my scar will be way smaller than I thought. This makes me happy. Also making me happy is that she is super nice and definitely put a lot of my worries to rest. She did discuss some of the risks involved in the surgery. About one out of every two hundred people that have this procedure will have the nerve that controls their vocal chords slightly damaged, causing their voice to be hoarse for several months. I guess sounding like Marlon Brando for a while isnt the worst thing ever. I could start making people offers they cant refuse.

This is a pleasant drawing of what the procedure does:



Obviously, my surgeon will be looking at something much more gross. Apparently my scar will be down near my collar bone. Lets think of more interesting explanations for a neck scar:

  • Knife fight (obviously).
  • Bionic neck parts incision.
  • Ninja star.
  • During a heated poker game, an angry opponent threw a card at my neck, it stuck, I flexed and shot it back at them, cutting out their eye.
  • Violin string miss hap.
  • Good and evil consciences sword-fighting on my shoulder.
  • Stood too close to a tiny helicopter.

    ...and etc.

    Surgery is on June 3rd. Lets hope lots of ice cream consumption commences shortly afterward.

    xoxo
  • 1 comment:

    Alexis said...

    You pretty much killed it with the scar story suggestions Chrissy. I'm so glad you feel good about the doctor.